William Hauser


Born: July 1, 1802
Died: (Not recorded)

William Hauser was a mason who occupied the Salem area in the early 19th century.

Hauser was first hired by Jacob Christmann for four weeks on a project in Salem. He was accepted under the condition his behavior be proper, hinting that his childhood had been rambunctious. His conduct was superior enough to earn him an apprenticeship under Christmann, and as a result was allowed to become a member of the Salem community.

In March of 1828 Hauser left Salem to spend two years in Philadelphia to learn the bricklaying and plastering trade. He was allowed to keep his membership in the congregation during this time as there was a noted shortage of masons in the community. This was a rare honor as most individuals who left the town would be forced to reapply for membership in the community.

Hauser was forced with a career decision by the community in 1831 shortly after his return. Brother Christmann was being dismissed from the community and the community was losing its only wheelwright as a result. Hauser had little choice but to open a wagon-building shop as a result of this communal need. However he only built wagons in the winter months, while continuing his masons work in the building season. He continued this pattern for several years, serving as the only waggoner in town according to the records.

In 1839, Hauser agreed to continue the wheelwright trade if allowed to build a house in Salem. This was approved, and Hauser was granted a plot of land at the corner of Main Street and Belows Creek Street. In 1841 he continued to expand on his grounds, building a two storey wheelwright shop.

1845 saw Hauser propose to build a new house on the lot of the Widow’s House. This house would have been 1 ½ storey, from brick and be smaller than the building standing there at the present. (Whether this was allowed is not known.)

In 1849 William Hauser purchased a lot of land outside of the Salem town boundaries to open up a sales place for brick and lime. Lime had always been a item in short supply in Salem with the nearest mines being over 30 miles away. By having a steady source this eased the need in building projects in Salem.

(No further records)