St. Philips Heritage Center
Old Salem opened the St. Philips Heritage Center (formerly the St. Philips Complex) in 2003 after reconstructing the African Moravian Log Church (based on 1823 plans) and restoring the 1861 brick church and 1890 Sunday school addition. The St. Philips Heritage Center interprets these buildings along with two graveyards containing at least 131 burials – the African American Graveyard (Negro God’s Acre) and the Stranger’s Graveyard and the Path to Happy Hill Overlook. The Center also serves a variety of community functions including celebrations, lectures, films, and performance events. The African Moravian Log church houses exhibits and hands-on children’s activities.