Historic buildings are open from 9:30 am.-4:30 pm. with special activities taking place between 9:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
November 7, 8, 2018
April 3, 4, 10, 11, 2019
May 1, 2, 8, 9, 2019Historic District(900 Old Salem Road)Old Salem Historic District
“Science never appears so beautiful as when applied to the uses of human life.” – Thomas Jefferson
The Moravians of Salem had an advanced understanding of science and technology: agriculture, astronomy, botany, surveying, architecture and manufacturing. Science was a tool used to solve the problems of everyday life. The American scientific “can-do” spirit led to many revolutionary discoveries and inventions.
Examples of experiences that you might have include:
- Learn how the Moravians used a fire engine and bucket brigade to protect the town of Salem and take part in a brigade!
- Learn about the first electric lights in Salem.
- Learn how a pipe organ works.
- Try your hand at fire-building technology.
- Experience how a potter uses minerals for glazes and discover the unique properties of clay.
- Use scales, standard and non-standard units of measurement while exploring common receipts of the 18th century.
- Learn how lye from ashes can make something you use every day!
- See how the use of block and tackle and pulleys can lighten a work load
- See how leavening agents long ago were used to put the bubbles in your baked goods.
- See how an American Longrifle is made and fired.
- How does cream make butter?
- Price: $18 per student, $23 per adult if booked and paid with the school by 3o days prior to tour (otherwise $27 walk-in rate). One (1) complimentary adult per 12 students
Availability of certain activities subject to change depending on date and registration numbers.
Please call 1-800-441-5305 to make a reservation for your class today.