Independence Day Celebration
Old Salem Historic District
Begin your visit at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Did you know Salem was the site of the first public July 4th celebration? Join us as we continue the celebration! Enjoy hands-on activities, patriotic music, demonstrations, and fun for the whole family.
- At 10:00 a.m., we will host our annual Naturalization Ceremony. At this moving ceremony, candidates for US citizenship will take an oath of allegiance to become new Americans. Admission is free but seating is limited with preference given to the families of new citizens.
- Watch the Gunsmiths at work and see patriotic ornamentation on early longrifles
- View the graves of Revolutionary War soldiers
- Learn about African Americans who served in the Revolutionary War
- Hear Patriotic Music on the 1798 Tannenberg Organ
- Visit the historic potter and joiner in their workshops
- Visit the Summer Gardens and see its harvest being prepared and preserved in the kitchen
- Learn about historic medicines and learn about the Moravian way of health and healing
- Try your hand a quilting at the John Vogler house
The Old Salem interpretive activities are included with the purchase of All-In-One tickets, which are $27 for adults and $13 for students ages 4-18. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Visitor Center at 900 Old Salem Road.
For more information, please contact (336) 721-7350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4th Of July at Old Salem! (Some of these events are facilitated by other organizations and do not require a ticket to attend)
1. Home Moravian Church, 8:30 AM, Salem Square, A commemorative service on Salem Square in Old Salem. It will include a reading of the Declaration of Independence. A Moravian band will play at 8:00 AM. Free.
2. Old Salem Historic District daily activities, 9:30 AM (Visitor Center opens at 9:00 AM, Retail 10:00 AM). Tickets can be purchased at the Visitor Center & Moravian Book & Gift.
3. Old Salem Naturalization Ceremony, 10:00 AM (seating very limited), Gray Auditorium (Visitor Center). Free.
4. Order of the Long Needle Pine Award Ceremony: Luis Lobos, 1:00 PM,(seating very limited), Gray Auditorium (Visitor Center). Free.
5. Salem Band Concert, 7:30 PM, Salem Square, Patriotic music. With food vendors present. Free.