Single Sisters’ House

621 S Church Street

Single Sisters House


Constructed 1786 with 1819 addition, rehabilitated 2005

No ticket required, operated by Salem Academy and College

The Single Sisters’ House is the earliest remaining building in the remarkable history of Salem Academy and College.

Construction of the house and work space to serve the Single Sisters’ Choir was begun in 1785. The building had been delayed one year due to the brick originally prepared for Sisters being used to rebuild the Salem Tavern after it was destroyed by fire.

The Salem Female Academy had been established by the Single Sisters in 1772 using space in the Gemein Haus (replaced by Main Hall in 1854) and this building. In 1805 a new building to the north, the Girls Boarding School, was built for housing and additional classrooms for the boarding students.

In 1819 the Single Sisters’ House was enlarged to the south with an addition. In 1859 the building was partially rented to the Salem Female Academy and then in 1910 it was deeded to the school. It was used by Salem Academy and College until 1991 when it closed until the rehabilitation was completed in 2005 for its grand reopening.

A portion of the Single Sisters’ House is open daily for touring, and special tours can be arranged by contacting Salem Academy and College.