African Moravian Log Church

913 South Church Street


Constructed 1823, reconstructed 1999

Ticket required, open during operating hours.

Built using funds from the Female Missionary Society and with logs raised by the African American members, this was an important part of the early African American community. Built of white oak logs, some weighing up to 2 tons, it was a substantial building that survived as a Freedman’s Hospital and later as a residence.

Reconstructed with a modern interior it offers orientation to the St. Philips Heritage Center through mixed media exhibits, as a meeting space, for children’s activities, and for African American genealogical research.